From time to time I like to play around with GNU/Linux and other *nix based operating systems. One of my favourites is Mac OSX (based on freeBSD); another one is Micro Core Linux. Even though I think Ubuntu is very nice as well it's always been a hassle for me to set it up properly. To me, Ubuntu is too complicated despite the fact that I've installed it quite a few times on different computers. I used to love Slackware a lot but there's so many options when installing it that it's a bit overwhelming. At least to a newbie like me.
What is Micro Core Linux?
Micro Core Linux is basically a stripped down version of Tiny Core Linux. It's blazingly fast, frugal and simple, but in no way easy to get started with. Documentation is sparse compared to other distros, and to me that's it's main drawback. I still love it though, because it always makes me feel like I've got my hands under the hood of the operating system. My reason for starting this blog is because whenever I install it on one of my netbooks I have a hard time finding the documentation I need. The forum is great, but I don't want to run over there and post every-time I have a problem; - which, let's face it, it quite often.
My hope is that this blog will be useful to someone else who want's to play around with Micro Core Linux. The things I discuss here will be useful to users of Tiny Core as well so long they are not scared of the command line.
You can download both of them from the Tiny Core Linux download page.